Check Remittance Undefined Symbol Error When Upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010

Microsoft Dynamics GPThe customer I recently upgraded from Microsoft Dynamics GP 10 to GP 2010 have encountered an error during the payment run at the cheque remittances step;

Undefined Symbol F01343D00789 Sequence Num

While investigating I did a quick online search and found this post from Mohammad R. Daoud, one of the Microsoft Dynamics GP MVPs which references the same error message.

As he explains the problem is down to the enhancements Microsoft have made to the cheque remittance process. In doing so the PM_Payment_WORK table has been replaced with pmRemittanceTemp. The hard way of fixing this is to revert the modified report to the original and recustomise. However, if you export the package, edit in a text editor and replace instances of PM_Payment_WORK with pmRemittanceTemp, change the Key from 7 to 3 and then import the package.

So having done this I then tried to generate the remittances again and got the following error message;

Table Hierarchy Inconsistency

Mohammad also warns that you may need to replace some of the fields you have used from PM_Payment_WORK if they are not on pmRemittanceTemp. I couldn’t see any fields that we were using that were not on pmRemittanceTemp so dug a little deeper. It seems Microsoft have removed the ability to link any of the payment run tables to the PM Creditor Master File; we were linking to this table in order to display the creditor address at the top of the remittance, where it would show through the window on the envelope.

Now while there is a workaround to this error, VB script and the Global Function RW_PMAddrIDInfo, this is going to be a lot of additional work as every single one of our customers has a remittance set up in this way. This is not going to be an enjoyable task.

What should we write about next?

If there is a topic which fits the typical ones of this site, which you would like to see me write about, please use the form, below, to submit your idea.

Your Name

Your Email

Suggested Topic

Suggestion Details

Looking for support or consultancy with Microsoft Dynamics GP?

I no longer work with Microsoft Dynamics GP, but the last company I worked for was ISC Software in the UK; if you’re looking for support or consultancy services with Microsoft Dynamics GP you can contact them here.

9 thoughts on “Check Remittance Undefined Symbol Error When Upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010

  1. Vilma Grinam says:

    I had the same need to put the Vendor address at the top of the remittance, so after following Mohammad R. Daoud’s tip, I added back the PM_Payment_Work by linking it to the pmRemittanceTemp. I then pulled the Vendor address fields from the PM_Payment_Work.

  2. Ian Grieve says:

    Interesting. That’s an approach that hadn’t occurred to me, but is a better one than the above as it will work for all implementations of GP and not just those that have bought Modifier with VBA.

    Thanks for the info.

  3. Melvin says:

    After making the changes suggested. I got an “inconsistent table hierarchy” error. I went to report writer and added a relationship for table pmRemittanceTemp and Credit Master File. Now when I process my remmittance, I get an error “Undefinded Symbol Voucher Number”. I believe this has to do with the fact I chaged the table names to pmRemittanceTemp on the report. Did anyone run into this issue? Please advise.

  4. Had the same issue upgrading from 10 to 2013. This solution worked.
    I Did the package modification, Re-imported, ran the report & got the hierarchy error. Then I opened report writer, set a table relationship from pmRemittanceTemp to PM_Payment_work (through the tables button, not through the report itself;
    Then I opened the report itself & changed the table relationships within the report by first removing the creditor master, then adding PM_Payment_work to pmRemittanceTemp and then adding the creditor master to PM_payment_Work.
    Much easier than re-doing the report.

    1. Ian Grieve says:

      Interesting. I’ve not added relationships using the Tables button. I have another of these upgrades to do soon, so I’ll definitely be looking into doing it this way.

      Thanks for the tip.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *