I have recently been doing some work with a client to enable the Web Services for Microsoft Dynamics GP for external approval. This requires a steps to configure them for secure external access; when it was configured we tested on afew devices including Android smart phones and iPhones.
We found that everything worked fine, except for the Android devices which returned the following error:
When I investigated the issue I recalled that I had seen references to this issue previously, but hadn't realised the meaning. The problem is that the web services use an older version of TLS which has started to be deprecated and actually retired; this looks like it will be a much bigger problem starting very soon as the major browsers also remove support.
From that Bleeping Computer article, when it comes to retiring these protocols, each company has their own plan:
- Google plans on deprecating TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in Chrome 72, where developers will see deprecation warnings in the Developer Tools. These protocols will be disabled completely starting in Chrome 81.
- Mozilla will disable support in Firefox for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in March 2020. Users of Beta, Developer, and Nightly builds of Firefox will see these changes sooner.
- Microsoft stated that they will disable support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in Edge and Internet Explorer 11 in the first half of 202.
- Apple has stated that they will remove support for these protocols in iOS and macOS beginning in March 2020.
It seems that Android is ahead of this as it is already refusing to connect to the web services Workflow approval page (we tested on a few Android devices) and browsers are soon to follow suit. I am in discussions with Microsoft to see what the plan is for allowing Workflow approval to continue via email using the Web Services to continue working after the older tLS versions are retired.
In the meantime, I have been able to offer clients an alternative as my employer, ISC Software Solutions, is both a VAR (Value Added Reseller) and an ISV (Independent Software Vendor); one of their offerings is a web portal product called PurchaseHQ which is an online portal allowing purchasing transactions to be entered and approved in workflow.
The key selling points of PurchaseHQ are:
- Easy to use purchasing portal.
- Users select a type of Workflow approval and see a list of their pending approvals meaning approvers no longer need to receive one email per pending approval.
- Documents pending approval can be reviewed, including any electronic or scanned documents held in Dynamics GP Document Attachment.
- Approve/Reject the following Workflow Types from any Internet connected device, anywhere, at anytime:
- Purchase Requisitions
- Purchase Orders
- Purchase Receipts
- Purchase Invoices
- Payables Batches
- Payables Transactions
- Vendor Change
- Simple screens to enable a quick and efficient approval process.
- Responsive design that works on desktops, notebooks, tablets and mobile/cell-phones in any browser.
- Extend your Dynamics GP system and allow purchasing users to manage purchasing from anywhere, via any device. View released purchase orders, process goods receipts and approve purchase invoices in real-time with Dynamics GP using the PurchaseHQ portal.