Microsoft’s Jodi Christiansen has, on the Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP
blog, announced the release of the January hotfix which includes the Making Tax Digital (MTD) updates required for VAT submissions to HMRC from April
The Microsoft Docs site has been updated with setup instructions; I need to get it downloaded and installed to confirm the functionality, as all of the setup is around the VAT 100 and not VAT Daybook. Clients with more complex VAT often need VAT Daybook which allows them to define which tax codes appear in which boxes on the VAT Return. We’ve previously been assured by Microsoft that the MTD update would include both VAT 100 and VAT Daybook so I need to check that this is in fact the case.
The hotfix can be downloaded from CustomerSource (login required):
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018
The MTD changes are only available for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 and 2018; applying the hotfix will update you to the latest version of the R2 release of these versions. If you’re on a prior version you will need to either upgrade to 2016 or 2018 or source an alternative way of submitting to MTD, such as ISC Software’s Making Tax Digital add-in.
This post is part of the series on Implementing SmartConnect
, an integration tool from eOne Solutions, which can take data from any source and integrate it into Microsoft Dynamics GP (and other systems such as Microsoft Dynamics CRM or Sales Force amongst others). It has a drag and drop interface to make creating integrations quick and easy for all users rather than just developers (as many integration tools target).
SmartConnect has certain prerequisites which need top be met before implementing SmartConnect; these are outlines below.
Microsoft windows components:
- Windows Domain is required for integrating with eConnect for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 or greater installed on all servers or clients on which SmartConnect will be run. The SmartConnect installer will install it if it does not present although it can be installed manually prior to starting the installation.
- Microsoft IIS 8.0+ is recommended for machines running either the SmartConnect web service or SmartConnect WCF Rest services. and must be set up to allow the running of .NET applications. For WCF Rest installations the server must also be set up to enable WCF HTTP Activation.
- Windows Identity Foundation is required to connect to a Microsoft CRM Internet facing deployment, or Online system.
- SOAP SDK is required (http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=10747) for installations using the legacy excel templates downloaded from www.eonesolutions.com.
Windows user permissions:
- For 64-bit machines Read / Write access to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Wow6432Node \ eOneSolutions \ SmartConnect registry keys
- For 32-bit machines Read / Write access to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ eOneSolutions \ SmartConnect registry keys
- Access to the SmartConnect installation (standard install path is C:\Program Files\eOneSolutions\SmartConnect\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\eOneSolutions\SmartConnect\ if 32-bit)
- The Windows Domain service account used for eConnect needs to be able to log into the Microsoft SQL Server that contains the Microsoft Dynamics GP databases using windows authentication.
- SmartConnect Web Service controls integrations coming into SmartConnect from Excel, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, and third party applications that use the web service to connect. This user will need to be set up within SmartConnect after installation have been completed. This user may be the same user as the eConnect user.
- SmartConnect Windows Service is used by scheduled maps to run integrations. This user must also be set up within SmartConnect after installation has been completed and will be used as the default user for all scheduled integrations (unless a user has been specified on the scheduled map) and as such should have security to access/run all SmartConnect integrations.
- Salesforce Web Service is used to connect Salesforce real time data source maps to SmartConnect. This web service must be installed externally so it can be accessed by Salesforce. The internal user the web service uses to connect to SmartConnect should be restricted to only access required by Salesforce real time data source maps so as to reduce security issues associated with externally facing web services.
Microsoft Dynamics GP requirements:
- eConnect needs to be manually installed on each server or client with SmartConnect installed.
With all of the prerequisites met, we can install the SmartConnect application.