This post is part of the series on Local by Flywheel.
Local by Flywheel is a development tool for WordPress which provides a very easy way of creating a definable environment hosting a WordPress instance. As well as deploying an OS, it also deploys a web server, PHP and everything else required to develop or test a WordPress site, including WordPress itself.
Key features listed on the Local by Flywheel site are:
- Speed and simplicity – Flywheel is fast and functional and those features make this the slickest local WordPress development application in the world.
- One-click WordPress installation – Simple creation of a local WordPress site, so you don’t have to bother with setting it up yourself.
- Simple demo URLs – Create shareable URLs to demo your local WordPress sites to clients, collaborators or friends.
- Hassle-free local SSL support – Any site created via Local by Flywheel will automatically have a self-signed certificate created.
- SSH + WP-CLI Access – Simple root SSH access to individual sites, so you can tinker around if your heart desires.
- Flexible environment options – Hot-swap between NGINX or Apache 2.4, or switch between PHP versions. Everything will stay up and running.
The extensive set of features can be read here.
The Community edition of Local by Flywheel is free, but there are additional versions coming soon which provide more functionality; details are here.
In the next few posts, I’m going to cover the download, installation and use of Local by Flywheel.