I am not going to cover the configuraion and use of OData in this post, as it is not an area with which I have much experience. However, I know a man who does and I wrote a book with him in 2016:
Mark Polino is one of the three top people for reporting from Microsoft Dynamics GP and, in Chapter 13: Modern Business Intelligence for Microsoft Dynamics GP of the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 Cookbook, Mark covered how to configure and use the GP OData Service.
The full outline of topics covered by Mark is as follows:
- Activating OData for better external analysis
- Secure OData to control access
- Connecting OData to Excel for Business Intelligence
- Connecting GP to Power BI with OData
- Adding Power BI to the home page in Dynamics GP