Sometimes it is difficult to see the cause of a problem. We’re in the process of upgrading a heavily customised installation of Microsoft Dynamics GP for a client and are installing the new version on a new environment.
When it came to installing FRx I had a bit of a problem. I had installed and configured it on the SQL Server without any problem, but when I installed it on a Terminal Server I ran into the following error;
As error messages go, it is very descriptive, but it had me bouncing between SQL Server and Terminal Server comparing ODBC going “they’re the same!”, before I realised they weren’t.
The SQL Server had the ODBC Name defined as Dynamics GP and the Terminal Server had it set to DynamicsGP. The lack of a space on the second one was causing the problem because the ODBC really didn’t match. Once I renamed the second one, I was able to log into FRx.
The reason I hand’t noticed the problem straight away was that with GP it is the server which must be identical; you can get away with the ODBC name being different as the user selects the ODBC when logging in, but in FRx you set the ODBC in the SysData.