We upgraded a client from Microsoft Dynamics GP 9 to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 recently, and the first time they tried to run the VAT 100 report they received a number of errors:
A client was recently having problems with the Microsoft Dynamics GP Datamart in Management Reporter 2012, so I removed the DDM and installed the Legacy GP Connector. I tested it on the server and all worked okay so I asked the user to try.
Unfortunately, it didn’t just work and they got the below error:
We recently took on a new client who already had Microsoft Dynamics GP and had been migrated to Management Reporter before we took them on for support.
I did a little exercise of checking configuration and tidied up where needed. One item I found was two companies in Management Reporter which were not needed; these were the FW and FWC companies.
When I selected the first of them and hit delete, I received the following message:
Packt Publishing are running a Columbus Day special offer where you can get 50% off all eBooks and videos be entering code COL50 at the checkout.
This offer is good on all eBooks and videos until the 17th October (slight delay posting on my side due to other commitments) so act soon.
To get the discount, make sure you enter discount code COL50 at the checkout
As you may have noticed I have been doing a fair bit of work recently with Management Reporter and this has involved a number of upgrades from FRx which has meant I have used the Migration Wizard a number of times.
When I used it a few weeks ago (screenshots taken at the time but I haven’t had time to post it until now) everything went well. I was able to view the report definitions and check that everything looked okay. However, I ran into a problem when it came to generating a report. Any report. I received the following message:
In the last post I discussed installing the correct version of the Access Database Engine Redistributable. One further point to remember is that the x64 distributable cannot be installed in the normal way if the x86 version of Microsoft Office is installed.
However, it can be installed using the command line. This is not a post I can take credit for (I’m posting to help me remember for future reference) as it was first covered by the Dynamics GP Blogster (AKA Mariano Gomez) over twelve months ago.
To installed the x64 Access Database Engine Redistributable via the command line, open a command prompt and navigate to the location of the installer and type the following:
If you’re installing the x86 by the command line, just omit the _x64.
If you intend to use the FRx Migration Wizard when upgrading a client to Management Reporter then you need to have the Access Database Engine Redistributable installed on the same machine as the Migration Wizard.
And more than just having it installed, you need to have the correct version installed because in either case you will receive the following error:
The important item to remember is that there are two versions of the redistributable; x86 and x64. The version required is the one which matches the operating system. So for example, an x64 OS with x86 Office, needs the x64 version installed.
I was asked to create a new company for a client recently, who is still running Microsoft Dynamics GP 9, which should have been an easy task. However, when I tried to run GP Utilities to create the company I received an error:
I did a bit of exploring and testing of the system, but couldn’t identify the problem. I then tried to search online and did come across a Microsoft Knowledge Base article but it was of no help. I finally decided that the problem might be the client installation I was using.
As mentioned, this particular client is still using Microsoft Dynamics GP 9 which had a separate server components install (they are in the middle of an upgrade project to bring them to the latest version) which complicated things a little as I couldn’t just use any other client.
Instead, I made a did a backup of their DYNAMICS system database and loaded it onto a VM with SQL 2000 and GP 9 SP3 already installed. I was able to use the GP Utilities in the VM to successfully create the company.
That done, I backed up the system and company database and restored them to the clients live SQL Server before anyone started work in the morning. This approach is a little roundabout, but it was a little easier than reinstalling the client on the server and meant I didn’t risk disrupting anything.
Many events happen to me around the last two weeks of September and first two weeks of October.
This year is no different. I moved house on the 19th September and today, 1st October I have received an email from the Microsoft Community Engagement team informing me that I have been awarded the 2013 Microsoft® MVP Award.
Woohoo! Go me 🙂
However, by no means does this award mean I can relax; in fact I have a bit of a backlog of posts to get through and a couple of other ideas I’m trying to develop which will hopefully help the community on top of my current activities. I also want to get back to contributing on the Community forum again which has dipped a little due to workload and moving house (lots of boxes to unpack and furniture to assemble/position). So a busy time ahead over the coming months.
Finally, there is no way that I would have won this award without the outstanding contributions made to the online Dynamics GP community by the MVPs and other contributors. So thanks to all who contribute back to the community.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.