Back in the early years of my career, before I became involved with Microsoft Dynamics GP, I was a trainee developer (admittedly on PICK Databasic) before moving on and learning a little VB6 and then into Microsoft Dynamics GP consultancy.
I’ve kept my hand in enough that I can still do some coding and last weekend, after chatting with a developer in the office who is creating some new screens for GP, I decided to have a little dabble with the Visual Studio Tools for Microsoft Dynamics GP myself.
To start off with, I loaded in one of the sample windows supplied; EnvironmentalDetails. After reading through some of the code, I decided to build the project and load the dll into GP so I could see it in action.
However, when I tried to build the project I got a multitude of errors;
Errors such as:
- ‘TableError’ is not declared. It may not be accessible due to its protection level;
- Type ‘TableError’ is not defined;
- Type ‘SyUserObjectStore’ is not defined;
- ‘Dynamics’ is not declared. It may not be accessible due to its protection level.
I had vague memories of the developer mentioning something about the .NET version so I had a prod around some of the settings. Not being well versed in Visual Studio 2010, it took me a while to find the setting I needed ();
Once I changed the Target Framework from .NET Framework 2 to .NET Framework 3 all of the errors went away and I was able to successfully complete the build.